If you want to learn How to Sort in Excel then you are in the right article. In this article, you are going to learn How to sort in Excel by ascending and descending sort. You will also learn advanced sortings like sort by colors, sort by dates, and etc. We have described all the ways of sorting in detail which is used in excel So that you can do any type of sorting in Excel in just a few seconds.
You can do sorting in excel at an advanced level after reading this article. It is the most useful function of excel. Sorting is the basic function which is used in most of Excel Sheets. So in this article, you are going to learn the basic to advanced level sorting one by one and stepwise.
How to Sort in Excel
As you read in the introduction paragraphs we are going to learn basic to advanced level sorting. Therefore, we have divided each type of sorting in each heading and also basic to advanced level. You have to just read it level by level. We have described each level process in detail and step by step so that you can learn in detail and in an easy way. You can do any type of sorting in Excel after reading this article. You have to just read this article to know How to Sort in Excel and we have also provided images and videos for your help.
Different Types of Sorting
There are so many types of sortings that you can use in your excel sheet. You can learn all the types of sorting in this article. If you want to analyze the data then you have two options in excel to analyze. The first is graphs and the second is sorting. But if you want to organize your excel sheet then sorting is the best choice. So let’s see how many types of sorting you can use in excel to organize an excel sheet.
- Ascending and Descending Sorting By Alphabet.
- Ascending and Descending Sorting by Numbers.
- Sort your Data by Date and Time.
- Color Sorting to Sort the Data by Cells Color and Text Color.
There are more sorting are available which you can sort with the help of these sorts. But these are some main sorting that is available in MS Excel. You can learn all this sorting in this article by ‘The TechVin’. Well, all these sorting works in columns and in rows both. You can learn the way how to use this sort in rows and columns manually. So just start learning the article right now.
How to Sort in Ascending and Descending order
This is the most basic level sorting which is used in Excel for the numbers and the text. With the help of this sorting, we can sort our row in smallest to largest and largest to smallest. This is not so big process it is too easy to sort in excel.
- Firstly you have to open MS Excel on your PC. If you don’t have MS Excel on your PC then you can use it for free without paying any money. You need to just click on this red text ‘Use MS Excel for Free‘ and then log in or create an account.
- Now open your sheet in which you want to do the sorting. You have to click on Sorting Practice Sheet if you have a need for one practice excel sheet.
- You have to select or click on the cell in the column in which you want to do the sorting. There is no need to select the complete column which you want to sort. You put your cursor anywhere in the column, there is only need to select the cell in the column that’s it.
- After that open your Home tab in the Menu bar.
- In the Home tab, you have to click on the option of Sort & Filter which is available in the last block of the Home tab and the name of the block is editing.
- When you will click on it then a dropdown menu will open in which the top two options are the Ascending and Descending.
- You can click on any option that is suitable for you and for your data or as you want to sort your data. In this excel sheet, we have clicked on Sort Ascending so our data was sorted as A-Z. You can see in the image.
- Now the column in which you have clicked the cell is now sorted in your selected orders.
As shown in the image we have selected the largest to smallest means descending order. If you have completed the sorting of your excel sheet then you need to lock the cells so that no can edit your sheet without permission. If you want to learn How to Lock the cells in excel then you need to just click on this ‘Lock the cells or sheet in excel’ to learn how to lock the cells in excel.
How to Sort by the Colors in Excel
You can also do the color sorting in excel. Many times we have a sheet in which we want to sort by importance. In this type of sheet, we can’t able to sort by the values. So Excel gives the advanced function of sorting in Excel of color sorting. With the help of this sorting function, you can give the color to your important data and then do the sorting by the colors. So let’s see How to Sort in Excel by the colors.
- Firstly you have to open a sheet in Excel in which you have data. You can also download and open the excel sheet which we have provided in an upper way for practice.
- Fill the different colors in your data. You need to select the cell, row, column anything in which you want to fill the color. After that, you need to use this option to fill the color.
- Now you have to click on the Data tab which is available in the Menu bar.
- After that, you have to click on Custom sort which is available in sort & filter block.
- When you click on Custom sort then a dialogue box will open in you have all the advanced option of sorting.
- You have to click on Options which is available in the upper section of the dialogue box, just click on it and select the Sort Top to bottom.
- Now you need to click on the Column section of this dialogue box.
- When you click on the Column section then a dropdown menu will open in which you have to select the heading or column in which you want the color sorting.
- Now you have to click on the sort option.
- In the sort option, you have to select the color cell sort.
- Now you have to click on the color and after that, you have to choose the color as you want to select.
- Now you have to select that you want this color on top or on the bottom.
- Then just click on OK.
The color sorting is completed. If you would some duplicate cells during the process of sorting then you need to remove this duplicate cell. Now if you want to learn ‘How to remove duplicates in excel’ then just click on it.
How to Sort Left to Right Rows in Excel
Many times we have a sheet in which we make the headings or titles in the rows of the first column. Let’s suppose you have an excel sheet like the sheet we used in this article. Now I want to check that in which month the Natasha earned the biggest amount. In this condition, I need to do the sorting of left to right means of rows. So let’s see How to sort in Excel of rows or left to right.
- Firstly you have to open a sheet in which you want to do the sorting of left to right. You can also do the sorting in the excel sheet which we have provided for your practice.
- Now open the Data tab which is available in the bar.
- After that, you have to click on Custom Sort which is available in Sort & Filter Block.
- A dialogue box will open of Custom sort when you click on it.
- In this dialogue box in the upper section, Options are available. You have to click on Options.
- A dropdown menu will open in which you have an option of left to right. You have to just click on left to the right option.
- In the dialogue box, you have to click on the option of the row and choose the row in which you want the sorting. We have chosen the 13th row for the sorting.
- Now you have to choose the sorting that which type of sorting you want to do in the row. We want to know that in which month Natasha did the highest sales. So we choose the descending order.
- After that choose the order of sorting.
- When you have completed all the settings then just click OK.
Now you can see that the row which you selected for the sorting is sorted as the order which you select.
If you want to analyze the data of your excel sheet then you can make a graph of your data. So you need to just click on ‘How to Make a Graph in Excel’ to learn it. In this article of making a graph we have described all the way in detail. So that you can learn easily.
Now we hope that you have learned How to Sort in Excel. After reading this article, you can do any type of sorting in just a few seconds. We have written an article in detail and described all the types of sorting step by step and each step in detail. So that you never face a problem during the process of sorting. You need to just read this article to know How to Sort in Excel in Detail. If you have read it very well then you are now a pro in sorting in excel. Now you can do any type of sorting in just a few seconds.
Free tutorials of MS Excel and articles of MS office are available on our website. You can read those articles to learn about the MS Excel and MS Office. If you want to improve your skill of MS Excel or MS Office then you need to just click ‘Get the Free MS Office and MS Excel tutorials‘ to improve your skill of MS Office and MS Excel. You can select any article which you want to read and improve your skills in MS Excel and MS Office.
If you want to contact us then you can click on any social website icon which we have on our website. You can follow us on Facebook and tweeter and you can message us your question on these social media websites. We will help you and solve your problem you need to just follow ‘The TechVin’. If you have more questions like How to Sort in Excel and related to this topic then we will definitely help you. You need to just contact us on our social website.
In the last paragraph of this article, I just wanted to say that I expect you have learned How to Sort in Excel step by step. I hope that this excel tutorial will helpful for you. You can sort easily in excel, all you need is practice and knowledge. So We have shared the correct information via this article. Now you need to just practice the ways that are available in this article.
Leave a Reply