Do you have confusion about How to Right Click On Mac or any Macbook pro/air/iMac? Then my friend you are reading the correct article. In this article, we are going to discuss the best ways How to Right click on a macOS or a MacBook.
This article has almost 6 ways to right-click on a mac via trackpad, Apple magic mouse, External mouse, or any other mouse. And you will see the way to right-click on mac via the keyboard as well.
And if you know the way but still you are unable to right-click on your mac because of some issues. Then we will teach you How to fix right-click on a mac as well. Keep reading the article to know the best way according to your condition.
Table of Contents
How to Right Click on Mac
The answer and solution of How to Right Click on Mac is to Control-click on Mac. On your mac screen, wherever you want to right-click just move your cursor there and press and hold the control button on your keyboard and then just click on your trackpad or mouse.
We have one more easy way to right-click on a mac. Use your 2 fingers, just tap or click on your trackpad with 2 fingers simultaneously to right-click on MacBook. If this way is not available then you can enable this feature by customizing your trackpad via settings on your mac.
Are you unable to right-click on mac because of some issues like viruses or technical issues? Then Don’t worry, this article has a detailed solution for that one as well. You can solve that issues with ease by reading and applying that process on your mac. Just read the article carefully to understand the complete process.
How to Right Click on Mac Trackpad (MacBook)
There are two ways to right-click on your MacBook trackpad. Actually 3 or 4 ways but at a time you can enable only 2 ways to perform the right click.
Why 3 ways? You will understand it by visiting the trackpad settings on your mac.
On a mac, the right click is also known as a secondary click. And via customizing a secondary click you can select your way to right-click on mac.
But before that, let’s discuss one confirm way, by which you can perform the right click very easily. And this option is always available to you whenever using your mac.
Follow the steps to perform right-click:
- Use Control + click on the trackpad to right-click on your mac. First press and hold the Control (Ctrl) button on your mac keyboard. This button is 2nd button in the last row of your keyboard.
- Simultaneously, Click on your trackpad (You can click anywhere on your trackpad). Just press and hold the Control key and then click with your index finger or one finger on your trackpad.
- The right-click will be performed.
Now for the second way, you have different options by which you can perform a right click without pressing any key on your keyboard.
Customize Trackpad settings to Right Click on MacBook
Below are the tricks to right-click on your mac.
- Like you can touch or click with two fingers on your trackpad to perform the right click.
- Or you can click with one finger in the bottom right corner of your trackpad to right-click.
- Either you can click with one finger on the bottom left area of your trackpad.
But you can use only one trick to right-click on your trackpad. Now it’s your choice to select the trick which suits you and your work most.
Just select by following the below steps:
- First, open the system preferences (settings) on your mac.
- After that, you have to click on the trackpad to customize the trackpad settings.
- Next, move your cursor to the secondary click and click on the grey text which is available just below of secondary click(Make sure you are on the “Point & Click” Tab from the above 3 tabs).
- When you click on the grey text below the secondary click, you will see the 3 options. You have to choose any one option.
- These are three option and their details and how you will perform:
- “Click or tap with two fingers” you can use this to perform right-click by taping and clicking with two fingers on your trackpad.
- “Click in bottom right corner” use this option when you want the right-click by taping or clicking in the bottom right corner of your trackpad.
- “Click in bottom left corner” this option will be useful when you want to right-click by clicking in the bottom left corner of the trackpad.
- When you are done with this then just close the settings. After that, you can try and test the option that you have chosen from the available options.
Hope these steps help you to solve your issues. Now let’s move on to the next topic.
How to Right Click with Apple Magic Mouse on MacBook or iMac
If you have the apple magic mouse then this is the point when you face confusion. Because there are no buttons in the magic mouse. So how you will choose exactly where to click to perform the right click?
Well, it is very simple and easy for you to do it. Just click on the right side of the mouse to right-click.
Let’s understand in detail.
Apple’s magic mouse has all the amazing features of a trackpad. So the gestures and features that you can enjoy on the trackpad are similar to those enjoyed on the magic mouse.
Understand it in step-by-step method:
- First, make sure that the magic mouse is connected to the MacBook or your system.
- After that, you have to click on the front right side of the mouse just like you do on another normal mouse to right-click.
- Right-click will be performed.
If not performed after these steps then you can follow the below steps to resolve issues related to the mouse. You need to change the system preferences and let’s
How to change system preferences on MacBook to perform right-click.
- Open system preferences (settings) or you can apple logo and then system preferences.
- Click on the mouse icon to change preferences related to the magic mouse.
- After that, click on Point & Click tab to visit that tab.
- Now, you can see the secondary click option just move your cursor onto it and then click on the right side. Either you can choose the left side, or if you want to perform a right click, click on left.
- Now close the system preferences.
- And try to right-click via the option that you have selected.
So these steps are solutions to your issues related to right-clicking via the magic mouse.
Right-Click on Mac Using the External Mouse (third-party mouse)
In case, if you are not using apple’s magic mouse then what will be the process to right-click?
Exactly the same as you can do it on any windows computer or laptop. You just need to click the right button of your mouse to right-click.
Apple’s macOS is a very smart machine, it will recognize the mouse and work accordingly. But still, if you are facing the issues then you can follow the same preferences settings to solve that issue. A step-by-step guide is available in the apple magic mouse section of this article.
Fix Viruses and Technical Issues on Mac to Right-Click
Now you are unable to do the right click after following all these methods then you can go through this way. Still, if you are facing issues with the right click then there is a technical issue with your mac.
Now what to do to fix that technical issue or viruses issue?
First of all, we have to identify the issue before solving it. But in cases like this, it is hard to identify the exact issue. The only thing we do is just apply the fixes one by one that can solve this issue. And at the same time, it will not harm your mac. That’s why we are not going to use any third-party software or application to fix this.
You can also follow the guide on the most common mac problems and their fixes and check for these issues on your mac. If any issues your mac has then you can follow the fix for that specific issue.
Before that, here are some fixes that can solve your issue as well. We will go through the true method that can solve right-clicking on the mac problem.
Just follow the below methods one by one to fix the right-click issue.
If the trackpad and Mouse or right-click are working slowly
Sometimes there are no issues with the right click, it is just working slowly. If you are working also facing slow-down issues then you can follow the below steps.
- Open the system preferences or settings on your mac.
- After that, click on the trackpad or mouse, depending on which you are facing issues.
- In the Point & Click tab, you can see the Tracking speed option just drag the slide to the “fast” side as you want.
- You can also slide the slider of Click because intensity can be the issue also.
- Just try one by one both and see which one can solve your issue.
- Set it up accordingly and close that window and don’t forget to restart the mac.
Hope this can solve the issue easily. If not then you can move on to the next method.
Check for software update
Some new applications only work on new software updates. They face some issues while using that application because the app is no more friendly to the older version. You have to update it to the current version.
The same thing applies to the complete mac system. So try to update your macOS.
- Click on the apple logo which is available in the top left corner.
- Next, click on the About This Mac option. This option is the 1st in the drop-down list.
- Now click on the software update option. Make sure the mac is connected to good internet.
- Let it check and if the update is available then download it and install it.
- After the update, restart your Mac.
Probably, all your issues related to your Mac system including the right click will be solved. For your kind information, macOS Ventura 13.1 is the latest version of macOS. You can also check here about the latest version of macOS. If your macOS is not of this version then try to update it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Here are some FAQs related to MacBook left and right click. The complete article is the solution to the click issue but still, if you have any confusion then these FAQs are going to help you.
1. How to right-click on a mac without a mouse?
In case, where you don’t have a mouse, you just need to have a trackpad. Then you can perform a right-click on mac with the help of control+click.
2. Is there any way to do left and right click on mac without a mouse and trackpad?
I will say, Yes!, you can do it. Go to the system preferences and then open keyboard settings after that open the shortcuts tab and just turn on it with the checkbox “Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls”, this option is available on the below side.
3. Why can’t I right-click on Excel on Mac?
If you are not able to right-click on mac directly then you can use the Control + click to right in excel. It will become hard for you to directly right-click on mac with your normal use. In that case, use ctrl (Control + click). Just press and hold the Control button on your keyboard and then click on your trackpad.
4. How to double-click on a MacBook?
Double click on MacBook work the same as windows PC. You just have to click 2 times on your MacBook fastly. If still you are not able to do it then you can change the speed of the double click. Go to the system preferences and then visit Accessibility after that open the Pointer Control and then change the speed of the double-click to double-click easily. You just have to slow down the speed.
5. How to right-click with one finger on a Mac?
You can right-click with one finger on Mac by changing the secondary click settings. To do it, open the system preferences and then click on the trackpad and click on the grey text below the Secondary click, from the drop-down menu, select “click on the bottom right corner” and then close it. Now you are able to right-click with one finger by clicking the bottom right corner. Also, you can press and hold the control button and click on the trackpad with one finger to right-click on mac.
6. Can we use the keyboard to left-click and right-click on MacBook?
Yes, you have to turn on alternate control methods. Follow the process to do it. Open the system preferences and then click on accessibility. After that, open the pointer control and then open the tab of Alternative control methods. And then check the box to enable alternative pointer actions. Now you can left-click by pressing F11 and right-click by pressing F12. Well, we have no update about double click right now.
Important Information (Conclusion):
There are several reasons behind your right-click issue. We have the solution for each type of issue regarding right-clicking on mac in this article. Now you know How to Right Click on Mac in the most suitable ways. If still you have some questions then ask them in the comment box. We will give the solution to your issue as soon as possible. If you have more mac or technical issues then you can find the solution to those issues on our website TheTechVin.com and follow the proper step-wise solution.