In this article, we going to talk about ‘How to merge the cells in excel’ easily. Merge the cells is the best ever feature in MS Excel. You can also learn to merge as many cells, rows, and columns as you need. Just read the complete article and don’t skip a single word.
There are so many different reasons to merge the cells. One of the biggest reasons is to add the heading in an excel sheet. Add a heading in the excel sheet is the most important part of making a good excel sheet. If you are making a sheet for any professional purpose then you must have to add a heading to the sheet.
Learn some amazing tricks to merge cells to add the heading. You are also going to learn some crazy tricks to add a heading in an excel sheet without merge cells. In this article, we have given the feature of merge the cells without making them one cell. If you will learn this then you can merge the cells without harming the data of your sheet. You have to just read all the ways of merging cells in excel to be an expert in MS excel.
Table of Contents
How to Merge Cells in Excel
Every time while making a sheet we need to add a heading. The excel sheet looks more professional by adding a heading in the excel sheet. It is possible by merging the cells because it is impossible to add a heading in one cell in an excel sheet. So just learn the different ways of How to merge cells in excel and choose a way that is suitable for you and your work.
How to Merge Cells in Excel (Rows and Columns)
The first way which we are going to learn is the easiest way and most common way to merge the cells. You can use this way to merge cells in some normal and all the excel sheets. Just follow the steps and take the help of a screenshot for merging the cells.
- First, you have to open Microsoft Excel on your PC. If you want to download MS Excel then Just click on this Red text MS Excel.
- Take a new sheet for the trial. Once you learn this procedure then you can use it in your professional important sheets.
- You have to select the cells in the sheet that you want to merge. You can select as many cells as you want to merge. Just Right-click on the mouse and drag it to the cells which you want to select.
- Now you have to click on the section of Home which is available in the Menu Bar.
- In the Home section, you can see the Alignment in the ribbon which is available in the center.
- You can see the Merge and Centre in Alignment. You have to just click on Merge and Centre and make sure that you have selected the cells which you want to merge.
- Once you have completed these steps then you can type your heading in the merged cells.
Now your cells which you select for the merge, these cells are merged. These cells are now converted into one big cell and you can type the text which you want to type. The text will automatically come in the center which you will type in this merged cell.
How to Merge Cell in Excel (Only Rows)
If you want to merge all the rows and only some rows for any different type of data then you can use this option of merge the Cells. Just follow these easy steps to merge the rows of the excel sheet.
- Open the new excel sheet. In MS Excel new sheet is called Blank Workbook.
- Now again you have to select the cells. You can select the rows of two or more columns.
- Click on the Home tab which presents in the Menu bar.
- Find the Alignment section.
- Click on the arrow which presents on the right side of Merge and Centre.
- You can see the option of Merge Across as shown in the upper image. Just click on it.
- You can see your cells are now merged in rows. Now you can enter your data and also you type the heading in these rows which is merged.
If you want your data in the center or anywhere else in the merged cell then before typing the data you can set this with the help of these options.
If you want to visualize or analyze your data in Graph then read this also ‘How to Make a Graph in MS Excel‘.
How to Merge Cells in Excel Freely
You can merge as many cells as you want to merge including row and column both. You can enter your data anywhere you want to enter in the merged cells with the help of these features. If you want to merge the cells freely then you have to just follow these easy steps to implement it.
- Firstly you have to open the blank Excel sheet. Once you learned this then you can apply in your imp excel sheet.
- Select the cells as many as you want to merge.
- When you select the cells then again you have to open the Home tab.
- Click on the Arrow of Merge and Centre which is available in alignment ribbon.
- You have to click on the option of Merge cell.
- Now you can see that our cells are merged.
- You can use this option for the alignment of the text of data that you are going to enter in the merged cells. These options are also available in Alignment.
- You have to do this alignment before entering the data.
Now you have learned three ways of How to Merge Cells in Excel and you can merge cells now in an easy way. But the important way to merge the cells remains yet.
When you complete your sheet or after adding a heading to your sheet you have to lock the cells to Protect them. So you can learn this process ‘How to Lock the Cells in Excel‘.
How to Merge the Cells in Excel using Format Cells
This is another way to merge the cells. This is the advanced level procedure of merging cells. In this article, we merge the cells normally but if you will use this way to merge the cells then you can merge cells as you want because there are so many options available in this way to Merge the Cells. You have to just follow these easy steps.
- Open a Blank Excel sheet or Blank workbook.
- Select two or more cells that you want to merge.
- Now right-click on your mouse.
- A toolbar will open in which you have to find Format cells and click on it. You can also press Ctrl + 1 to open it. This is a shortcut to open the format cells.
- After that, the Dialogue box of Format Cells will open.
- You have to click on the Alignment tab which is available in the dialogue box of Format cells.
- In the Alignment tab, you have to tick on the box of Merge Cells.
- Then just click OK.
Your cells are now merged which you have selected. You can type any data and move it with the help of this option which is available in the Alignment of the Home tab.
An alternative to Merge Cells in Excel
This way to merge cells in excel is the most useful. If you will use this way to merge the cells then your cells were not merged but they will combine. In the upper ways after merged, all the cells have become one cell. But in this way, all cells will not become one cell. They are different cells but shown as one cell. Let’s see the steps for a better understanding.
- Open a new Blank Workbook in MS Excel.
- Select the cells which you want to merge.
- Now press Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard. Or you can also use this Right-click>Format Cells.
- A Dialogue Box will open Format cells. You have to click on the Alignment tab of this dialogue box.
- Now open the Horizontal and then just click on Cross Across Selection.
- Then remove the tick from the box of Merge cells. If the box is already unchecked then remains it the same.
- Now just click on OK.
Now the cells which you selected are combined or merge but they remain different cells. You can click on any cell and then you can see that the cells are different they not became one cell after merged by this process.
So this is the way to merge the cells in excel. If you will use this last way then you can also merge the cells of rows and columns without making them one cell.
If you are going to share the excel sheet after completing then you have to share the PDf file of your excel sheet. So you can learn ‘How to Convert Excel Sheet into PDF File’ by just clicking on it.
How to Unmerge Cells in Excel
Many times we merge the extra cells which we don’t want to merge. In this condition, you have to unmerge these cells. So let’s see How to unmerge the cells in excel.
- Firstly you have to select the merged cells which you want to unmerge.
- Now just click on the Merge and Center which is available in the Alignment section of the Home tab.
- You can see that your cells are now unmerged.
If you have read the complete article carefully then you have the complete knowledge of ‘How to Merge Cells in Excel’. You are now an expert in excel and you can merge cells as you want to merge.
Make sure that you have read and learned all the ways because all these ways are connected. In different ways, we have described some shortcuts of some same steps. So make sure you have learned all the ways.
You can be an Expert in making the Sheet of MS Excel by using the last way. In the last way, we have described just one method to merge the cells without making them one cell. If you will use more options of this way in the alignment tab of Format Cells then you can learn the more amazing and crazy methods to merge the cells.
I hope that this article ‘How to Merge Cells in Excel’ will help you to merge the cells. We have more tutorials on MS Excel on our website (The TechVin) in which we have described more amazing tricks of MS Excel. If you want to learn these tricks then you have to type Excel in the search box of this website.