Want to know how to make a movie on Mac? Or perhaps you’re looking for Windows Movie Maker for Mac or iMovie alternatives. Read this article to find out more.
Table of Contents
How to Make a Movie on Mac
Mac is the ideal operating system to make fun and professional movies from pictures or videos. iMovie may be the software you’ve been using since it’s free. But there are iMovie alternatives you can use to make stunning videos on your Mac. Keep reading to find out what these alternatives are and what to look for in professional video-editing software for Mac.
What to Look for in Video-Editing Software
Before choosing video-editing software, there are a few factors to consider first. In this section, we’ll discuss the features you should look at before you choose your video editor.
Many movie-editing platforms on the market offer affordable packages for you to purchase. Ideally, you want to choose a video editor that provides all the tools you need to make a movie on your Mac but at an affordable cost.
Choose movie-making software that is suitable for your budget. Take a look at the various packages for each platform and compare their prices. Or choose a free platform that’s easy to use and has all the tools required to make your movie, such as Movavi movie maker for Mac.
Interface and Ease of Use
Another important factor when choosing video-editing software is how easy it is to use. You want a platform that doesn’t require coding or advanced editing skills. The interface should be streamlined with a toolbar that’s easy to access.
Furthermore, the video-editing software should provide customizable templates to make it quick and easy to edit your videos and make professional movies on your Mac. Choose a platform that provides plenty of easy tutorials for you to follow so that you can learn how to use the platform efficiently.
Multiple Video Format Support
Your movie-making software should allow you to change the format of your video. This is not the same as changing your file type, although some video editors can have this feature. You’ll need to change your video format if you want to make movies that can play on various devices such as DVD players.
Most video-editing platforms allow you to change the video format without compromising the movie’s quality. Popular video formats include:
– MP4: This is Apple’s preferred format and is one of the most common types of video formats to choose from.
– AVI: Videos saved in AVI can work on almost every web browser on Mac, Linux, or Windows operating systems.
– MOV: This video format is quite large and is ideal for QuickTime Player on Mac.
– MKV: Supports many codecs and is ideal if you want to view your movie on your PC or a TV using an open-source media player.
Effects, Music, and Visuals
To make your movie unique, you’ll need access to a library full of music, visuals, and unique effects. The most popular movies include background music and stunning graphics. Choose a video-editing app that doesn’t need expensive plug-ins for you to add effects or music. Your software should include these movie-editing features without the need for third-party app integration.
If you want to take your movies to the next level, you’ll need editing tools that are easy to operate. Most user-friendly video-editing platforms provide drag and drop tools to help you make professional movies.
*Side Tip – If you’re working many hours making movies on your Mac, you may want to change your Mac to dark mode to minimize the brightness of your Mac’s interface.
Windows Movie Maker Alternatives for Mac
Windows Movie Maker is one of the most popular platforms for Windows users because it comes pre-installed on the Windows operating system. Unfortunately, Windows Movie Maker for Mac doesn’t exist, so here is a list of alternatives that will work for your Mac system:
– Movavi Video Editor
– Wondershare Filmora
How to Make a Movie on Mac
If you don’t want to use the iMovie alternatives mentioned above, then you can follow these easy steps on how to edit videos on Mac using the iMovie software.
- Open the iMovie app on your Mac operating system.
- Click on Choose New File and then on New Project. Or press the quick access keys: cmd+N.
- Next to the Name window, type in the title of your movie or project.
- Change the aspect ratio or the screen dimensions for your movie. There are many formats for you to choose from, such as:
– 16:9 – Widescreen display
– 4:3 – Standard display or standard definition TV
– 3:2 – Display for iPhones
- Now, choose the frame rate of the movie. It will depend on the type of television you’ll be playing it on. The standard frame rate is 30 frames per second for North America by National Television System Committee standards. Or select a slower frame rate for SECAM or PAL standards.
- Add a theme to your movie by clicking on the Project Theme tab. If you choose a theme, the iMovie app will automatically include transitions that correspond to it. If you want to add your transitions manually, simply untick the box that says Automatically Add Transitions and Titles.
- When you’re done, click on the Create tab, where you’ll come to another window where you can preview your movie or make any last changes before you save your movie.
- Click on Choose File and then click on Finalize Project to save your movie on your Mac.
Making a movie on Mac is easy if you have the correct software for the task. iMovie is the ideal choice because it’s designed for Mac operating systems. But you can also use other well-known video-editing platforms such as Movavi or even Lightworks. Or simply follow this guide on how to use iMovie to make professional videos on your Mac device.