Here is the article that will show you How to Make a Copy of a Google Doc as easy away as you want.
The below points will give you a quick overview of what we will cover in this article.
- Make a Copy of Google Doc.
- Force Copy a Document.
- How to Copy a Protected Google Doc.
- Copy a View only document.
- How to Copy a Google Doc with comments.
- Copy a Google Doc to another account.
Some of the best ways are available to solve all these problems.
All you have to do is just read the complete article carefully. Learn one by one each way, and you can also learn the way you want with the help of the below content table.
How to Make a Copy of a Google Doc
To make a copy of the google doc, first, open the google docs on your pc. After that, open the document of which you want to make the copy. In the document, click on the “File” tab and then click on the option of “Make a Copy” and name the copy, then click on the “OK” button.
Let’s understand the process to make a copy of a google doc step by step:
Step #1: Open the Google Docs on your PC and log in to Google Docs.
Step #2: Now, open the document of which you want to make a copy. You can open any document by double-clicking it.
Step #3: Click on the “File” tab and choose the “Make a Copy” option from the drop-down menu.
Step #4: Give the Name to your copied document. A window will open when you click on the Make a Copy option, in which you have to type the word.
Step #5: Select the folder where you want to save the copy of that document. It can be My Drive and Computers options available. You can choose any of them.
Step #6: Click on the OK button to make a copy of google docs when you are done with all these settings.
These are the steps that you have to follow to make a copy of a document. Now let’s move to the other options that can help you.
How to Force Users to Make a Copy of a Google Doc
Force copy is not possible directly, but we can make it happen with a simple trick.
The feature of force copy of drive file comes into use when you are the document owner. And you share that document with you other peoples, and they can be your students, colleagues, and other public peoples. You want them to copy that document and then start work on that copied document, not on your original ones.
So in case, where they don’t listen to your instructions, you can use this force copy option.
Here is the simple trick that you can follow to force users to make a copy of a google doc.
URL Hack to Force Copy of any document
To do this, follow the below steps:
- First, Open the document in Google Docs that you want your users to force copy.
- Click on the Share Button, which is available in the top right area of google docs.
- Next, click on the “Change to anyone with the link” text. This text is available at the bottom of the dialogue box, which is opened when you click on the share button.
- After that, click on the “Copy link” and then click on Done.
- Edit the URL by replacing “edit” text with “copy” just like the below image. You can edit the URL in the URL box, paste the URL in the next tab, and then delete the last text started with edit and then type copy.
- After that, copy that link and share that link with your friends, colleagues, students, users, and Anyone with whom you want.
These are the steps that help you to force copy your document. When your user clicks on the click, the only effort he has to make is just one click.
One-click on the button of the Make a Copy option. After that, your users will get the copied document of your original one.
Well, These steps are not only for force copy of a google doc. They also work in google sheets and google slides.
So, you can also force copy a document with the help of this way.
Some tips for editing URL (URL Hacks of Google Docs):
Replace the text after last “/” with “copy” = It will create a copy of the google doc.
If you have any public document with important comments, you can place this text “copy?Copycomments=true” after last “/” = This will create a copy with comments available in the document.
When you replace the text after last “/” with “preview,” = It will create the View-only document, It will share your document with everyone, but no one can edit it.
Replace the text after last “/” with “template/Preview” = This is amazing when you have any brochure, and you want to share it with Anyone as a template preview.
Now, you know that how to force copy a document. Just make a force copy of the document as you want.
How to Copy a Protected or View-only Google Doc
Now, if you want to know how you can set the google doc as view only, allow them to copy it.
If you have access to any google doc but as the view-only document and want to copy that document, then what’s the solution for it?
The first question that comes to our mind is, Is it possible to force copy a protected google doc?
I’ll say, yes, you can do it.
All you need to do is follow the below steps:
- First, on your PC, open that Google Docs, sheets, slides, or drawing which is protected and you want to copy.
- After that, replace the text after last “/” with “copy” from the URL box. If it is “/preview,” then make it “/copy” to make a copy of that doc.
- Now reload the page and then click on the “Make a copy” button to create the copy of that protected google doc.
Once you follow these three steps, You will make your copy in just a few seconds.
So, if you have a document shared by your teacher, colleague, or Anyone but as the view-only document, then you can follow these easy steps to make a copy.
In the case, if you have a pdf and you want to convert pdf to google docs then you can read the article which is available on our website by click on that orange text. Believe me guys, it will help you a lot.
How to Copy a Google Doc with comments
If you want to copy a google doc with comments, then we have two ways for it.
When you have complete access to a google doc, then you can use the first way.
And if you don’t have access to that google doc that you want to copy, then you can use the second way.
1st way, when you have access to documents:
- First, open that document on the chrome browser of your pc.
- Second, click on the File tab from the menu bar.
- Next, click on Make a copy from the drop-down menu.
- Check the box of “Copy comments and suggestions” in the dialogue box of the Copy document, which will open when you click on Make a copy.
- You can give the Name of the document that you are going to copy.
- Once you are done will all these steps, then click on the OK button.
2nd way, when you don’t have access to documents:
- Open that document in a browser on your pc.
- And copy the link of that document from the URL box.
- Paste that link in the next tab, do not press enter.
- Now, type “copy?Copycomments=true” after last “/” by replacing the already there text. Just do like the below image.
- Press the Enter button.
- After that, click on “Make a copy” to copy that document with comments.
This process is the URL hack to copy the documents, spreadsheets, and slides with comments.
Copy a Google Doc to Another Account
This way is also a tricky method, but if you have read other ways of this article, then you already know the solution.
However, you need proper steps, so that you will not make any mistakes while coping with a google doc from one account to another.
Below are the steps that will make a copy of your google doc to another account:
- Open the google doc that you want to copy in another account.
- Click on the Share button, which is available in the upper right corner.
- Now, click on Anyone with the link and click on the copy link.
- After that, open another account in which you want to make a copy of that document.
- Next, paste a link in the URL box of another account.
- And, replace the “edit” with “copy” after the last “/” and press enter.
- Now click on “Make a copy” to create the copy in another account.
Follow all these steps and copy that document in your google doc.
How to Make a Copy of Google Doc on Phone
There is a question which as simple as typing in the google docs app. Let me explain to you, On the Google Docs app, you have the option to copy any document directly, and it will create for you within seconds.
Below are the steps to make a copy of a Google Doc on Phone:
- First, Open Google Docs on your Phone, either it is Android or iPhone.
- Next, open the document of which you want to make a copy by touching it.
- After that, tap on three dots that are available in the top right area.
- Tap on the “Share and export” option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, Touch the option of “Make a copy” to create the copy of it.
- Give the Name to your copy and select folder, and then touch the OK button.
Your work is done. You have created a copy of a google doc on your Phone. These steps will be similar for iPhone and Android as well.
Making a copy of any google doc is now the easiest work for you. But it is better to read the remaining article. It will give you more information and will clear your remaining confusion.
People Also Ask (FAQs)
Create the duplicate of any google is easy after reading this article. But sometimes, you face problems like 404 errors while you use URL to copy.
Clearing your confusion is the reason for creating this section in this article. Here we solve all these types of confusion in which could befall.
So let’s see the questions for which peoples also asks.
How can I make a copy of a Google Doc for each student?
Answer: To copy the Google Docs for each student, open classwork in and choose the document or post, and then you have to select the reuse post option and choose to make a copy for each student. It will distribute your google Docs copy to every student.
You can also use the share their link of your document by replacing the text after last “/” with “copy,” Whenever they click on that link, It will make a copy of that document for them.
Why can’t I make a copy of a Google Doc?
Answer: If you have any shared document and you don’t have editing access to it, then you can’t make a copy of it. In that condition, you have to use the URL hack which is mentioned above in this article.
And if you are talking about the classroom, then the only reason behind it is that you didn’t choose to make a copy while posting it.
How to Make a Copy of Google Doc link?
Answer: If you are on PC, then, from Google Docs or drive, open that document. After that, click on the address bar and then press Ctrl+A, and it will select you the complete URL of that specific doc. Now press Ctrl+C to copy the link to that google doc. And then use it as you want.
In this case, if you are on the phone, then open the docs app or google drive app on your Phone. After that, touch document that you want to copy. Next, tap on three dots and then the “Share and export” option, and then click on the “Copy link” option to copy the link of that specific document.
How to Make a Copy of Google Doc Chromebook?
Answer: Follow these steps:
- Open the Google Docs or Google Drive on your PC.
- Open the document in it.
- Click on the File tab and then click on the Make a copy of the option.
Here you have to give the Name to your copy and then click on the OK button. You will make your copy of a google doc on your chrome book by following these easy steps.
How to Make a copy in Google Drive?
- Open the Google Drive on your PC.
- Right-click on the document of which you want to make a copy.
- Click on the “Make a copy” option to create a copy of that document.
How to Make a Copy of a Google Doc without permission?
Answer: To create a copy without permission, just open that google doc. After that, copy the link from the address bar. Then, edit the URL by replacing the text after the last “/” with “copy” and paste it into the address bar. Next, click on the Make a Copy button, and within seconds You will make your copy.
Important information (Conclusion):
We have read everything about coping or create a duplicate document. Make sure to share this How to Make a Copy of a Google Doc answer with your friends or colleagues if you found it useful. Because they also need this type of help for their work.
The below sharing buttons help you to share this article with your friends. If any confusion or queries remain in your mind and you want to ask us, then the below comment box is opened for you. Just ask us the questions related to How to Make a Copy of a Google Doc and answer your query ASAP. Thanks for reading, and thanks for sharing in advance.