The Standard Deviation is most important to calculate in the excel sheets of investment, fund, or population. The main purpose of standard deviation is to get spread results of Scores. If you are going to invest your money then you must have to know ‘How to Calculate Standard deviation in Excel’. In this article, you can learn ways to Calculate Standard deviation in excel.
It is an easy process to calculate the standard deviation in excel. You have to just understand the process and formulas which we are going to use for calculating the standard deviation. If you want to gain the knowledge of standard Deviation or want to know more about standard deviation then you can read the below article. If you don’t want to read then you can directly move to the process by clicking on the below content table headings.
How to Calculate Standard Deviation in Excel
Now it turns to know that How to Calculate standard deviation in the MS Excel. It is easy to calculate the standard deviation in excel. There are two main features and formulas are provided by the excel to calculate the standard deviation. In this article, we are going to cover both of the formulas with the example of one sheet. We have written the best supporting and helpful article so that you can learn descriptively and step by step.
What is the Standard Deviation Formula in Excel
There are manly two formulas available in excel to calculate the standard deviation in excel. These two formulas are used mostly in calculating the standard deviation.
- STDEV.S: The formula STDEV.S used for a sample of data. This formula helps us to calculate the standard deviation in excel for a sample of any data. The S which is placed after the STDEV is used to Sample taken from any data set. The meaning of S is the sample.
- STDEV.P: The formula STDEV.P used for a whole set of data. This formula helps us to calculate the standard deviation in excel for a whole set of any data. The P which is placed after the STDEV is used to Population means that the total set of any data. The meaning of P is Population.
In some old versions of excel like Microsoft Office Excel 2007 the STDEV.S known as STDEVA and STDEV.P known as STDEVP. So if you are using the 2007 version of MS Excel then you have to use this to formulas to calculate the standard deviation in excel.
Open the MS Excel on your PC
Firstly you have to open the MS Excel on your PC. If you are new to PC and if you are a beginner then you can follow these easy steps to know that How to open the MS Excel on PC.
- Click on the Windows icon or start. You can see the icon of windows or start in the lower-left corner of your window. You can also press the button of windows on your keyboard.
- Now you can see the search bar. You have to search for Excel in the search bar.
- In the search result, you have an option of Microsoft Office Excel. It has an icon of X in the logo. You have to just click on it.
If you don’t have MS Excel on your PC then you have to click on Download MS Excel to download it. You can download the latest version of Microsoft Office Excel.
Enter the Data in the Cells of Excel Sheet
Now you have to Enter the data in the Excel Sheet with the Perfect Format. If you already have the excel sheet in which you have data and want to calculate the standard deviation then you can open it.
If you don’t know the proper format of the MS Excel sheet then you can get the help of these points and the image which we have given below. You can make your sheet like this for practice. This is the normal format of data in excel to calculate the standard deviation.
- Proper headings, You have to give the proper headings so that your sheet looks professional sheet.
- Serial numbers in cells, you have to enter the serial numbers because with the help of serial numbers you have a proper measurement of your data.
- Names of Calculation and data, you have to give the proper name of each calculation and data which you have used in your excel sheet.
- Sections, you have to divide your data into proper sections.
For the above formats, you need to merge the cells like for headings. You have an option of merge and center in the above alignment section. You can merge cells with the help of this section. But if you don’t know How to merge the cells in excel or want to know that how to merge the cells then you can click on ‘How to Merge Cells in Excel‘.
Calculate the Standard Deviation Sample with Formula ‘STDEV.S()’
If you want to calculate the standard deviation sample of any set then you have to follow these easy steps. Make sure that you have made the proper excel sheet with the correct data or values. You can also use the Data which we entered in this image to learn this process.
- Firstly you have to make the proper section of the Standard deviation Sample in Excel sheet.
- Write the formula =STDEV.S( in the front cell of the Standard Deviation Sample.
- Put your cursor on the first value of data and then select the data of which you want the calculation of Standard deviation. You can play the below video for better understanding.
- When you have selected the data then the cell of the formula looks like this image below. If you have done this then move on to the next step.
- Now you have to close the Bracket ), the formula which we entered to calculate the standard deviation sample. After selecting the data you have to close the bracket of this formula.
- Press the Enter on the keyboard, when you have completed all these steps carefully then you have to press enter.
Now you can see that your value of the standard deviation sample is calculated. For the practice of this process, you can enter the same values or scores which I have entered in this procedure. So that you can understand the process of calculating the standard deviation.
When you have complete this process then you have to lock that resultant cell. It is important to lock the cell because after locking no one can edit this cell and also you were not able to edit the cell by mistake. You can learn How to Lock the Cells in Excel by just clicking on this red text.
Calculate Standard Deviation Population with Formula ‘STDEV.P’
This formula is used for the calculation of the standard deviation population of the total set of data. The Process is the same as STDEV.S, this process has a difference of formula. But for the complete knowledge of calculating standard deviation you need to read this also.
- Firstly you have to make sure that you have entered proper data values and sections in your excel sheet.
- Now you have to type this formula ‘STDEV.P(’ in a front cell of Standard Deviation Population.
- After the bracket, you have to select the values of which you want to calculate the standard deviation. Just put your cursor on the first value and select at the end of the values.
- When you have selected the values properly then the Cell of formula looks like the bellow image. It consists of the address of cells of value that you have selected.
- Close the Bracket, after selecting the all data you have to close the bracket which of formula cell.
- Press Enter, after completing all these steps carefully. If you have completed all these steps carefully then your Standard Deviation calculation is ready.
Now you have got your calculation of the standard deviation population in excel. If you want to make the graph of this value then you have to click on this red text How to Make a Graph in Excel to learn this.
What is Standard Deviation?
The standard deviation is the sample in which we see the estimated spread of any data in excel. In other words, the standard deviation is a measurement of the dispersion of variation of a set of some data values. If you are going to invest your money then you can calculate the risk and volatility of your investment with the help of Standard Deviation. If you have past returns report of any investment then with the help of standard deviation you can know the stability of your fund.
I hope that you get the answer of How to calculate standard deviation in excel and you have learned this process completely. If you will face any problem in calculating the standard deviation then you can contact us. We will help you in calculating the standard deviation and in any problem related to excel.
Now if you want to contact us then you need to click on any social media icon which we have provided on our website. After that you have to follow us on all social media to connect with us then you can send us a message on any social media website. We will help you and solve your problems related to PC, mobile, MS office, and Google. You need to just connect with us on all social media websites.
I hope that you have learned ‘How to Merge Cells in Excel’ easily. If you have any questions then describe it in the comment box. We will help you as soon as possible.